Wednesday 22 October 2014

Blindingly Obvious (B0): Taking Care of Yourself is Part of YOUR Job

The Blindingly Obvious (BO): 

Taking care of yourself 
IS part of your job


I’ve been working absurdly hard for about two months now: My daily schedule started at 5:30 AM and generally ended at 9:30 PM, with little or no break or pause, except on a rare day off, when I’d collapse in a stupor. 

If you’re a CEO or President or Dad or whatever, you may think that by working more, you’re doing more of your job.

Untrue. 

Part of every leader’s job is to remain upright when necessary, prone when healthy and sane at all times. If you don’t, your body and mind have a funny way of saying, “Cut the crap, idiot.”

For me, this moment came Tuesday, I came down with the dreaded man flu. All that time of working, eating on the run, not sleeping my 7 hours a night caught up with me.

Basically, my body said Enough, David. You want to go non-stop for weeks? Fine. But you’ll pay the consequences.


Taking care of yourself is part of your job. Do it. Otherwise your body will make you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger