Sunday 6 September 2015

Business Tips: Apply 'The Platinum Rule'

I’ve been reminded lately of the Platinum Rule.
Above and beyond the Golden Rule of “do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” the Platinum Rule reminds us that it’s even better to “do unto others as they would want done unto them." Not what you would want, but what they would want. 
I’ve recently worked on a project where the motivations for participants were quite varied and, in some cases, very different from mine. The project leader, recognising this, did a great job making sure we all felt valued.
She gave us small gifts for participating and treated us to a special celebration of success. These are things I didn’t particularly need, but some of the other team members did. And these weren’t offensive to me or otherwise de-motivating, so it was the right thing to do for the benefit of the whole team.
However, on another recent project where I was the team lead, I forgot to think through the best way to value each team member and, frankly, I treated them all by the Golden Rule — as I would expect to be treated. I did NOT follow the Platinum Rule, and it didn’t work out very well. I didn’t bring my customary A-game.
How many times do we treat our employees or others we work or volunteer with as we would want instead of how they would want?
To be clear, I don’t believe we need to overthink every little action or interaction, but I do advise that we consider the driving forces for each of our team members and do our best to enable each one to feel valued. I’m always amazed how much I’ve learned (then forgotten) to use. So please take a lesson from me and use the Platinum Rule. I think you’ll like the results.
In Summary
  Reconsider the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
  Apply the Platinum Rule: Do unto others as they would want done unto them.
  Different people have different motivations, so they will feel most valued when you use the Platinum Rule.
I hope this helps your business be outstanding.
One more thing before you go......I would like you to do one important thing for me - spread the word about this article.
That is all - 
David



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger