Monday 23 February 2015

Motivational Monday! Comparisons

Happy Motivational Monday!

Let us make a decision to be joyful. We get to see a new week and achieve our goals.

This quote by Theodore Roosevelt is brilliant and something that all too often we need to remind ourselves of. 

"Comparison is the thief of all joy."

To many the meaning is obvious. To me I think if you spend your time comparing yourself to others you tend to come off second best. Others have more or better. You then don’t like your stuff as much. And this is the scary reality, sometimes that stuff can be you and your accomplishments.

But if I don’t value my accomplishments then how can I value myself?

Most of us fall into this trap, especially when we are younger. You could get the most amazing present ever and be giddy with glee, then see someone with the newer version and feel like yours is rubbish.

Not sure about that? Think back to getting your phone. That iPhone 5 was great until everyone started showing you their 6.

Honestly, it's amazing how readily people compare themselves to other people, or other’s success, or other‘s everything. It leaves us feeling unsatisfied, unmotivated and unworthy. 

Can we take a step back from all this comparison crap? And focus on what really matters? Can we say, “I am happy with my lot. I have enough. I am fulfilled. I am fine?”

It goes without saying that nobody has everything. Your friend might have a significant wealth, but be lonely. You might have an amazing partner and fabulous friends but live in a (what you think to be) dumpy apartment. Both of you are comparing lives and neither of you are happy with what you already have. 

Next time you find yourself doing this comparing, ask yourself, 'What do I have? What could I be grateful about in my life?' I bet you'll find there is a lot you have and a lot you can be grateful for. 

Alternatively, if you are looking at people and thinking, 'Ha! Look at that clown. I've got better *** than them! Hahaha!', that's not great behaviour either. That smug feeling might feel good for a few minutes but they are stemmed out of spite and don't really fulfill you. Focus on your own stuff and be grateful.

Sound a bit preachy? Probably because I am preaching to myself who is in desperate need of learning this lesson.


What are you grateful for in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger