Friday 8 August 2014

Please Don't Make Me Endure Change

I turn on the radio and everyone is talking about how they want change. People want a better economy, but nobody’s willing to share in the financial hit it will take to get back on track.
People want better schools, but nobody wants to rock the system, the unions, the teachers, and the role of parents.
People want lower insurance, but nobody wants to adopt the changes in lifestyle and behaviour that will drive it.
People want to be thinner, healthier and happier, but nobody wants to own the actions it takes to get there.
People want homeless brothers and sisters off the street, as long as it is N.I.M.B.Y. (not in my back yard).
Everyone wants to own the result; nobody wants to own the process.
Especially when it involves change or disruption to the patterns around which they have grown accustomed.
A smart person once told me Maslow got it wrong. The fundamental need is not survival, but rather the need to not have to endure change. I laughed, however increasingly, I am finding truth in those words.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger